Local NewsNews

Fire service urges public to check smoke alarms following fire in Newcastle-under-Lyme

Firefighters are urging the public to ensure they have working smoke alarms following a fire at a property in Newcastle-under-Lyme.

Staffordshire Fire and Rescue Service was called to a detached property on Shut Lane Head in Whitmore at around 4.50am on 30th December 2019.

Crews from Newcastle and Hanley attended the scene and discovered the blaze in a bungalow, on the ground floor and in a first floor extension.

Firefighters wore two breathing apparatus and one hose reel jet to put out the flames. Colleagues from West Midlands Ambulance Service also attended the scene to carry out precautionary checks on one male casualty.

A fire investigation was carried out and found that the fire started due to a faulty Christmas decoration that was near a curtain.

Fire Investigation Officer Darren Jackson said: “Thankfully, the man and woman inside woke up to the smell of smoke, discovering the fire meaning they escaped unhurt. However, sadly a cat died during the incident.

“The property was severely damaged by the blaze and smoke which is unfortunate given the time of year.

“This fire serves as a reminder to always ensure you have working smoke alarms on every floor of your home and test them regularly and to ensure any plugs connected to an extension lead should be switched off before leaving the property or going to bed.”

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.